Dr. Farkas BÁRSONY
Candidate for President
Dr. Farkas BÁRSONY
Co-Founder and CEO, Sharity Innovation Kft. (2018-)
Partner, PwC (2017-2018)
Executive, Managing Director of 4 GE companies in Hungary (1999-2017)
Country, Europe & MENAT and Global Tax and Leadership roles at GE (1996 – 2017)
Sr. Tax & Legal Consultant - Arthur Andersen & Co.Ltd., Budapest, Hungary (1995-1996)
2003 Masters of Law/LL.M. in International Tax Law, Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration, Austria
2002 Tax Advisor, Finance and Acccounting College, Budapest, Hungary
1994 MBA-Economics, University of Pécs, Hungary
1992 Doctor of Law, University of Pécs, Hungary
Hungarian (native), English (fluent), German (basic)
Other main professional activities:
- AmCham President (2016-2018)
- AmCham Hungary Board Member & Investment Policy Task Force lead (2014 -2016)
- Member (both domestic and int’l branch) of International Fiscal Association (IFA) (1999 - )
- Visiting lecturer in Corvinus University Budapest (Business Law, Int’l Tax Law, (2015 - )
- Visiting lecturer in University of Pécs (Faculty of Law), International Tax Law (2004-2008)
- Lecturer in King Sigimund College Business School (Finance law) (2009-2010)
- Speaker in international tax law conferences (continuous)
Other current engagements:
- Founder member & Board member of „Társ a bajban” Association (2014-)
- Board member of Tungsram Sport Club (2001- )
- Board member of Hungarian Football Federation/Pest County Directorate (2011 -)
- Board member of FTC Football Zrt. (2016 -)
- Board member of the Hungarian Tennis Federation (2018- )
- Board member of TÜV Rheinland Foundation (2016 - 2017)
- Board Member and Pres. of Audit Committe in Hungarian Golf Federation (2009-2011)
- Board member of Habitat for Humanity (1998-2005)
Why do you think membership in the American Chamber of Commerce is important for businesses operating in Hungary?
AmCham has truly become the main representative for U.S. and - could say - international businesses in its nearly 30 years in Hungary. Therefore, the main business players (and related organizations) in Hungary simply cannot afford not to be part of it, especially in this fast changing environment. However, the main importance of the membership for me is that AmCham provides a unique and probably the most effective platform to influence the business environment in the country. The economic weight the members represent in AmCham makes us possible to stand up as a strong advocacy group to achieve our common goals for both the interest of the country and the businesses operating in Hungary.
What motivates you to be a President of AmCham Hungary
First of all, it is a very motivating fact itself that so many distinguished business leaders representing their AmCham member companies incited and supported my re-nomination. Their continuous trust and support is a key element in my motivation. Secondly, it allows me to continue to represent the work what I have been doing at the highest formal level which – I believe - adds to the level of effectiveness. Continue to remain the president (for the last term) as a former long time GE leader right around the year when both AmCham and GE were celebrating their 30 years in Hungary gives a special feeling to it.
Why do you feel you are qualified? What skills do you bring to the position?
I have been in country (Hungary), regional (CEE, Europe, MENAT) and in Global functional and leadership roles through my career, mainly representing US companies with working in several countries all over the world. 20 years just at one of the largest US (but globally diversified) technology and financial services company. Actively participated in negotiating and changing laws in Hungary, (partly through AmCham too) in significant times like the EU accession or through the financial and economic crisis. I have been always working in a business environment where Hungary was placed in its international context and had to find ways and solutions good for both the country and businesses. In summary, the main skills I would like to still bring are the expertise (finance law), global thinking, negotiating and leadership skills, which were actually all tested in my first term of AmCham presidency, I believe with great results.
How have you been active in AmCham over the course of the last two years?
I have been a Board Member-at-large since 2014 (and also the Lead of the Investment Policy Task Force from 2014-2016). I was the President of AmCham in the last two years.